Wednesday, November 13, 2013

[New Series] Color Combos: Gray + Black + Denim

Yes, denim is a color. Actually, it is more than a color, it is in a category and a league of its own. I absolutly love denim, especially if its acid washed. I also love the classic levis styled jean. However, I think it is not the easiest material to incorporate with other colors and patterns, and this is what this new series will be about: unusual pairings that will give a specific outfit a distinct look.

There are some classic pairings that work with denim, such as dark wash skinnys with a lighter washed chambray shirt or denim with basically white anything. Another popular trend that rolled around these past couple of years was denim on denim, which.... I'm not such a big fan of.

Denim
             
I like these combinations, don't get me wrong. But I think wearing denim with gray brings the style of the outfit to another level. I really like the look 
gray + denim

I don't know, there's something about it. It looks casual, but put together. It's easy on the eye and suits every type of weather. You can wear it in the spring and summer with a chambray shirt and gray tank top, or you can rock it in the fall and winter by pairing a gray sweater along with a gray beanie. Various shade of gray and denim work well and they bring their own type of look, which is another reason why I love this combination so much. 

One inportant factor to consider: because both of these colors are intermediate in darkness (depending on the shade selection of denim and gray, of course), is that there needs to be a color that grounds the look. For me, that color is black. This creates a rather monochrome look, with a subtle pop of color with the bliue. Here are some ways in which these three colors (gray+denim+black) could be worked together.


gray, black, and denim



Soft cotton t shirt / Boat neck tunic / Short sleeve shirt, $7.79 / Denim jacket, $200 / Topshop mini skirt / Sixtyseven black shoes / Vegan shoes, $120 / Yves Saint Laurent leather handbag / Herschel backpacks bag, $105 / Reason black hat / Clear wayfarer

I hope these color combos inspired you to try various looks using denim and gray. I will for sure keep posts like these coming!


Happy Thursday!

Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tells us your ideas!